Pajero NM dual <span class="highlight">battery</span> wiring

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 10:41
ThreadID: 40145 Views:5502 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a seperate dual battery box (which I used on my previous vehicle). This box just packs in the cargo area together with the rest of my gear and my fridge.

However, since I only recently baought the Pajero, I need to fit wiring that runs from the main vehicle battery to the cargo area. I literally only need to run 2 wires (and fuse) from the front to the back of the vehicle and into the cargo area, where I can plug it into my battery box (anderson plug). The battery box already has everything inside (isolator, battery monitor, etc)

Has anyone done something similar DIY on a Pajero or know where I can have this done?

Thanks
Arie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 16:15

Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 16:15
I had an NM Pajero and ran a cable from the main battery through the grommet in the firewall to a Pirahna isolator mounted under the front passenger seat. I then ran the cable to the rear seatwell where I had an Optima sealed battery located. I earthed the second battery with a short cable to a bolt in the floor. The positive cable just ran through the vehicle under the carpets. The Pirahna also has ignition sensor wires which the positive need connecting to a 12v source and the negative to earth. I have transplanted this setup to the current vehicle.
AnswerID: 209163

Follow Up By: ArieB - Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 17:14

Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 17:14
Thanks Richard

Can you please provide some more detail. Is it easy to access this grommet and wiring from the inside of the vehicle. Which panels did you have to remove (under dash, door sills, etc.)

Any other hints and tips?

Thanks
Arie
FollowupID: 469174

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 18:34

Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 18:34
It was a while ago and I just cut a hole in the big grommet on the passenger side and pulled the cable through with a bit of gal wire. Make sure the hole is well away from the metal firewall and its a good idea to add extra insulation so it doesn't wear through and short. I used a bit of conduit and sealed it all with silastic.
From memory the grommet comes out just above the passenger side carpet underneath the dash. You can find it if you put your hand under and feel around a bit. I just ran the main cable under the mats to the rear. Not sure what isolator you've got so I can't comment on how it needs wiring.
FollowupID: 469180

Follow Up By: ArieB - Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 09:07

Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 09:07
Thanks for all the advice. I'm new in Aus and Sydney and as such I do not know where the best place is to buy cable, conduit, fuse, etc. I don't need an isolator as this is already installed in my battery box.

I was thinking of going to SuperCheap Auto. Any other ideas? I live on the lower north shore.

Thanks
Arie
FollowupID: 469233

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 18:03

Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 18:03
Bias Boating Warehouse are good for electrical stuff. I think there is one over your way.
FollowupID: 469309

Reply By: johnny - Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 20:10

Thursday, Dec 07, 2006 at 20:10
hi i wired up a waeco plug as every thing is there to switch on or off with accessory
or you can just leave it on

its 50 amp cable with a ciggi plug and also a hella plug no problem running anything and all you have to do is run the wires

you can also use the hella plug to charge up your battery box as the hella is a heavy duty plug
AnswerID: 209187

Reply By: Member - Ray Mc (WA) - Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 00:31

Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 00:31
On my MN, I ran cables to a solenoid in the engine bay, then ran the cables through the firewall as described in earlier posts. I then removed the trim in the footwell and the treadplates on the front and rear doors frames. Once this is done there is a cable track (plastic) which allows you to run your cable to the rear and have it protected at the same time. Where the cable comes out of the rear door frame, I ran it under the carpet over the wheel arch ready to connect to the battery box. I have since updated to a NP and simply pulled the whole setup out of the MN and completed the job in the new vehicle.

Pretty srtaight forward and works a treat. Trim, etc can be removed easily.

Good luck
AnswerID: 209218

Sponsored Links